Gbh

Great Blue Heron portrait. Fuji XT3 100-400mm lens, f8. Background texture added.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

The bird was standing against bushes and tall grasses…I replaced them with a solid Textured background to show off the bird in “a better light”.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I think you have a nice image of the heron. It looks pretty sharp and well exposed. Looks like the light came from the back, but you’ve made it work OK.

I’m am distracted by the overly bright, yellow background texture. I’d be fine with the texture, but it dominates the image for me, rather than the subject.

1 Like

Hi Megg
I really like the Heron, I get so few shots of them in Ct. You did a good job with the back light, detail, and color of the Great Blue. I think I would like to see the grass and bushes, sometime nature is just messy.
Peter

1 Like

Very nice job on the backlit heron, Megg. Excellent exposure and the plumage detail is good. I really like the bit of light coming over the back. I love the texture you chose, but like Keith, I think it dominates the subject. I find myself looking right past the heron at the background. I’d be interested in seeing the original background. I have replaced backgrounds on occasion, but it’s always been with another I’ve taken of similar habitat by less distracting elements.

1 Like