Great Blue Heron portrait

This was an attempt at being a little more original with respect to a portrait of a Great Blue Heron. It could probably use a tad more depth of field but maybe it’s okay as is. I really like the feather detail on the head/neck.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Any pertinent technical details:

Iso-800, AFS 500 F5.6 PF, f8, 4000th, Handheld, D 500, sunny day, Adobe camera raw 11.2, Topaz Adjust, TK sharpening action at 10%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Very cool and very original, David. The eye and plumage are wonderful. You might remove the stick that’s stuck to the forehead. Also, I’m sure it’s natural, but the background in the lower left looks kind of funky. Just out of focus grasses, I think.

Yes very nice feather detail and I like the look of the eye too. Nice portrait - an intimate look.

I really like the concept as well. Always nice to see something a little different. IQ looks good. A little more DoF would’ve been nice, but I’m not sure you could’ve done much better in this situation. As a critique, I think I’d like to see a bit more on the right, but I am honestly not sure whether that would improve the image. And in an ideal world, the eye would’ve been fully lit. Small points in an otherwise very well-executed image.