Beacon of Light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of those unforgettable moments, as I was treated to a view of the spectacular famous “braided rivers” in Iceland, flying in a tiny home made airplane (the pilot asked me minutes after takeoff if I’ve heard of a place called IKEA; “well” he said, " kind of like that, but for airplanes". The spare gas for potential refueling was in a can “stored” between the pilot’s legs. To think I used to be deathly afraid of heights…

What drew me to this image was the stark contrast created on the right by the reflection of the afternoon sun, highlighting the patterns below.

Specific Feedback

All feedback welcomed.

Technical Details

1/1600sec, f/10, ISO640, 56mm

1 Like

I like this.The color palette with it’s blue/white/gray tones is a nice departure from the usual Iceland river shots.

Fritz,
I’ll have to second my brother’s @Michael_Lowe’s thoughts on this lovely abstract. I also like how it transitions from dark to light as you go left to right. That’s what I would call flying by the seat of your pants. Beautifully done.

Wow!! Spectacular composition with wonderful light!! The wonderful lines are even more engaging with the variable layering of darks and lights.

There are quite a number of homebuilts, meticulously engineered and built with great care by serious hobbyists. It sounds like it was a wonderful flight! The thought of midair refueling makes me a bit nervous, but maybe it was with some sort of pump… And it certainly beats running out of fuel at a bad time.

@Diane_Miller @Michael_Lowe @Ed_Lowe , thank you all for taking the time to comment. The blue color, and the stark contrast of light, which in the brighter section made it a gleaming silver, is what drew me to this scene. Almost did not take the image with the bright part in it, as I thought it might blow out the highlights; glad I did take it.
Diane, sorry for not being clear. We would have landed if there was need to refuel. Flying planes over there seems a bit less regulated, as the pilot picked me up in the small town I was staying at by landing on the highway that went through town, pulling into someone’s driveway for the “boarding process” :slight_smile:
These small planes are quite amazing; at one point the pilot reduced the speed drastically, lowering the rear of the plane, making the plane fly almost upright, similar to flying in a helicopter. It was just (very quietly) gliding through the air. Not sure that makes sense,; very short version of a longer story. Let’s just say that quite literally took my breath away for a couple of heart beats :slight_smile: , although overall, I’ve seldomly felt as safe as I did during that flight.

That’s the way flying is meant to be, and they way it used to be before there was so much population density. Increasing the angle of attack of the wings gives extra lift and lets you keep flying (avoiding a stall) at slower speeds.

1 Like