Beautiful Bayou

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the archway and the reflection below and how together they form a gateway. I like the subtle colors and the complicated texture of the image. When I’m at Caddo Lake it is always my goal to find something unique. It’s always easy to fall into the same bucket as so many of the photos taken there. I find that it’s a challenge to pull off something unique there.

Creative direction

I was hoping to achieve a sort of impressionistic style with a softness to balance the texture of the photo. I wanted to represent the color in a realistic but semi-vivid way.

I loved this scene and really want to represent it the best way possible.

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic or technical feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

I took this with my second body, my old D810, hand held while cruising on a boat at Caddo Lake. I used my 70-300 VRII at 70mm. My aperture was fairly wide (f/5.6) to gather light, and I don’t mind the shallow DOF affecting the foreground. The plants and bubbles on the surface are soft and yet the background reflecting on the surface is quite sharp. The softness separates the surface from the reflection so I’m solid with that.

Description

I took this photo during a boat session with clients at Caddo Lake this season. This was taken late in the day with a soft light from the sky. It was taken hand held as the scene came into view. I was instantly drawn to the archway and reflection. I pointed this scene out to my clients but noticed that not everyone gave it a try. Sometimes a scene inspires and sometimes it just doesn’t. I felt this one instantly.

1 Like

Gary, You certainly achieved your goal - the image is impressionistic and the softly stated colors work great. The reflections and the closely situated trees create wonderful vertical lines. Although, I am not a kayaker, I can feel myself gliding through your gate formed by the arched trees and their reflections. The image deserves a nice frame and place on your wall.

1 Like

Just a beautiful image, the pastel colors are splendid. I am trying to imagine how the image would look darkening the colors except the yellow and red of the arch, specially in the water, with the aim of giving more prominence to the arch and its luminous colors. This could ruin the impressionistic feeling? It’s just a reflection.

1 Like

Hello Larry. Thank you for your kind words. It’s a kayakers paradise. :wink:

Thank you Giuseppe. Thank you.

I tried what I believe you were describing. Darker but preserved the color of the reds and yellows. Is this what you had in mind?

Yes in my eyes the arch has more impact. I like your new version IMO.

Great job; this is lovely Gary. The arch quickly grabs the eye, and the delicate textures of the leaves are beauty. I really like how the coarser trunks subtly back up the arch.

I think @Giuseppe_Guadagno has a great idea, and prefer the second version.

Nicely done!

1 Like

I really like the image, and i think it achieves your goal of being impressionistic. I do understand the idea of darkening the colors (other than the reds and yellows) and while it does add impact, I think it detracts a bit from the impressionistic feel by making the image more contrasty. There’s no perfect solution.

1 Like

I’m more inclined to agree with you. I liked the light feel of the original, but I can understand how the one with more contrast would be preferred by some as it more aligns with more traditional processing techniques.

Thank you for your input.

Thank you Giuseppe. I’m still going back and forth. I really appreciate our input and giving me pause for thought. :slight_smile:

Thank you John. I’m going to print them both out and look at them closer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Gary. I believe I remember seeing this scene, but from the other direction so I didn’t see the arch effect. I like what you’re trying to achieve with the impressionistic effect and I do think you’ve achieved that. My one critique is that the brightest parts of the image are the sky showing through the tress at the top of the frame and its reflection at the bottom of the frame. That draws my eye to those regions instead of noticing the arch. Perhaps a slight vignette would tone down the brightness on the edges to make it less distracting and make the arch more of a focus, or even just reducing exposure on the top and bottom edges. In any case, I certainly think this is a unique image.

Gary,

This is a wonderful image from the bayou.

As you already mentioned, the “arch” of the non-cypress trees along with the lovely colors makes this image stand out. The repost is even better. Just a beautiful scene and image.

I agree and I think you achieved all your goals with this one - impressionistic and just a great job with colors/contrast, etc.; making the colors stand out, yet not go overboard. Well done.

My only minor suggestion would be to clone or otherwise mitigate the small patch of sky along the top left edge. Not an image killer by any stretch, but if going to print I would mitigate that so more uniform like the rest of the top edge. Minor, but thought I would mention.

Lon

Hi Lon. Sorry for not responding sooner. Thank you for your kind words. And I think that you’re right about that little bright spot. I haven’t printed yet but will be. Thank you sincerely.