Beautiful Scum

Water from heavy rains helped to create these cool patterns in the river/drainage just down the street near my house. For this shot I was on a bridge about 40 feet away from this scene . In processing I worked to emphasize the curved lines and create color separation between the different green tones, toning down the plants on the bottom left to keep focus in the middle.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Interested in thoughts on the balance and flow of the image, along with the handing of the greens. not 100% sure about the plants on the bottom left if they help or hurt the composition.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

handheld but braced against a post, 400mm, f/8, 800 iso, 1/60th of a second, polarizer. Cropped to about 80% of the original image. Processing in lightroom then photoshop to clone out distractions.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This works for me, with well-captured curves! Wish I could zoom in to a bigger image to enjoy the detail, but I think the plants in the LL add a lot. Otherwise it is more of an abstract. I appreciate that they are a slightly different green.

Keith, this works well as a “realistic abstract”. The color change from the dark green plants to the yellow/green floating plants (I’m going to guess duckweed) looks good. The curved flow lines are nicely dynamic. I’ve seen something like this on the run-off control pond next door and it’s quite striking how “scum” can be so interesting and attractive. :grin:

Keith, nicely seen. I like the abstract feel of the image. The plant in the LLC, at least for me, adds character, texture and interest. Great photo.

Oh, nice scum! The flow of the composition is wonderful. The main flow of the middle “layer” of scum is crossed by the implied line between the LLC plants and the contrasting brown color in the URC. In that regard, I feel that the LLC plants are essential to the composition. Really lovely.

The greens feel a bit overwhelming to me, though. The various tones of green are great - it’s just the saturation is too much for my eye. That’s just my taste, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Very nice “composition in green” Love the curved lines in this. I agree the greens seem really saturated. If they are naturally this way, great, but if you added saturation you might consider backing off a bit.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I agree that the greens ended up too saturated, although the greens were quite vibrant in real life. Here is a less Kermit the Frog colored edit that I think is much more enticing to look at.