Beauty of the Insignificant-3

Deptford Pink
Thought to have originated from Deptford, England, this little beauty has become part of the midwestern prairie. Not easy to find, as the flowers are 3-4mm in diameter and the plant is grass-like and slender, hidden among other plants. Hard to spot them as they are sparsely interspersed with the other abundant prairie plants. The plant is 1-2 feet tall. The flowers bloom an hour or two after sunrise and by then the wind is in play.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + 25mm extension tube + tripod
f/16, 1/25, ISO 800
ACR for RAW, PSCC, slight crop for composition, Topaz Denoise for background and AI sharpen on the flower

Lovely little flower, Ravi. I’ve not seen this type before. Wonderful detail with the white specks on the pink petals. Composition, with the OOF green background, works very nicely. Great capture.

Delicate and beautiful flower. My favorite feature is the transition from pink to lavender to a deep bluish purple. Have never seen this flower before but will be on the look out from now on. All elements here work well, including your choice of background and placement in the frame. Again, thanks for bringing up this series of small and mostly ignored flowers. (For some reason I can’t enlarge the image.)

Ravi: Terrific find and a spectacular capture considering the subject and conditions. Superb DOF management. Exceptionally well done. >=))>

Excellent technique to catch such a sharp image of the quite tiny flower in windy field!

Hi Ravi, this little flower is certainly a gem and your presentation is excellent. The pink really pops against the soft green background and it almost looks like there are blueberries growing from the center :laughing:. Lots of nice detail in the enlargement, where I verified it was not blueberries, lol. I’ve always heard there are beautiful wildflowers growing in our prairies so thanks for introducing us to this one.