Beauty of the Insignificant-4

Timothy grass blooming
Timothy is a ubiquitous grass in the prairies and any land that is disturbed. They are about 1-3 feet tall. This is an introduced species. The anthers are about 2 mm long and are yellow, brown or red in color.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7DIi + 180/3.5 + Tripod
f/8, 1/500, ISO 800
Canon DPP for RAW, PSCC, No Crop, Topaz Denoise applied to background

3 Likes

Hi Ravi, love the colors and the bokeh in this shot! Especially love that you got what looks like a hover fly? Or some sort of bee? It’s a very elegant image.

Its amazing how you manage to get such sharp detail on small subjects. This is another image that lets the viewer explore a subject seen often, but not really “seen”. The slight angle of the grass was a good choice in composing the image. Well done.

Very nice composition and light and the flying insect is the perfect compliment to it all. The slight diagonal is very helpful in making this more dynamic given the overall simplicity. My only though would be to consider a bit more of vignette around the edges to add more emphasis to the main subject as well as some brightness variation in the background.

Thanks Vanessa. Yes, it is a hoverfly. It is hard to keep them off the grass flowers when they are in full bloom.

Ravi: I’m a little late to this party but this is a terrific capture with the hoverfly icing on a very fine cake. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks Tony, Here is what I tried. added a subtle vignette.

I like it. The plant seems to be almost glowing now.