The Beauty of the Insignificant-5 + Repost

Bottle Brush Grass inflorescence
The slender bottle brush grass, looks like a brush with long bristles, is not very conspicuous. They grow along the edges of a prairie. They are about 4-5 feet tall and the head (inflorescence) is about 4-6 inches long. This one is past prime, so there are no anthers. Each flowering unit is called a spikelet that consists of the glumes at the base (long leafy structure) and the central floret that has the flower.
Canon 7D + 180/3.5 + Tripod
f/16, 1/80, ISO 640
Canon DPP4 for RAW, PSCC, dark background further darkened. I left alone the spider webs

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Any

1 Like

A lovely view of a type of plant that we often overlook. Fascinating details!

Simple and beautiful. I would clone out the bright specks showing up in the background area but that is my only suggestion.

1 Like

Wonderful and simple image! I would have erased the “dirt” in the spider web (or is it even the spider itself?).

Hi Ravi,

A very nice and simple image of this grass. Yes, clone out those few light spots in the BG is all that it needs. A wonderful composition…Jim

I agree with others that the spider webs are distracting. I cloned them out. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

2 Likes

Ravi: Marvelous lighting and a fine simple comp. I do think the repost is an improvement on an already fine effort. Most excellent. >=))>

I like the simple and minimalistic image. I feel wabi-sabi aesthetics from this shot.

Thank you Naofumi for bringing up the concept of wabi-sabi. That was the exact idea in my mind when I started this series. For people who are not familiar with this concept, wabi-sabi means accepting the imperfect, the impermanent and the incomplete and appreciate the beauty of them. Often employed by Japanese, especially in zen art forms, where the artist intentionally leaves a small imperfection such as a small crack in a pottery work to emphasize this concept. The concept came from zen practice, and I came across wab-sabi concept in a Kado (Zen flower arrangement) workshop over a decade ago as part of my meditation practice. Since then, I have tried to use this concept in some of my images, especially flowers.
For people who are familiar with the singer Leonard Cohen, he expresses this concept in his song Anthem. The lines go “Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That’s how light gets in.” Thanks Naofumi again.

I like the gentle curve of the grass in contrast to the sharp/pointed spikes of the upper bottle brush portion. As said, simple but striking.

Ravi, a beautiful, elegant image. Your remarks on wabi-sabi bring to mind the way the designers of Persian carpets used to leave a deliberate mistake, so as not to offend Allah by trying to rival his perfection.