Beaver Pond Leaf Study

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This year, I focused my attention on just a couple of areas in the San Juan Mountains and the West Elk Mountains and gave myself permission to scout new areas without any expectation to get a single good photograph. While I was driving one mountain road near Mancos, Colorado, I saw a beaver pond out of the corner of my eye and decided to investigate. I quickly realized that this series of ponds was full of fallen leaves and made for a fun challenge to locate patterns of leaves with just the right light in order to showcase the beauty that can be found in the chaos if one spends enough time and has enough patience to wait.

Specific Feedback

Anything is cool. I’m pretty happy with it as-is =)

Technical Details

3 Likes

Matt, this is stunning! I am a solid believer in the beauty ‘right at our feet’ when we get out and begin to look around and this proves that point. I like the way the aspen leaves have broken up the pattern of the willow leaves. They sort of dance their way obliquely from UL to Lower Right, adding a very subtle movement. Wish it was mine!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, very nice! Those beavers really know how to decorate.

A very well-considered composition. Just lovely.

1 Like

Love this. Ive been working on a similar idea at Zion. One suggestion would be to create a virtually square crop of the left side of this image - include everything to the left of the decaying leaves in the middle. That would (a) make all the leaves bigger and (b) make their exposure the same as the leaves on the right are less exposed than the left (actually the upper right).

2 Likes

Really like this Matt, and it reminds us of what a good sensor can do in low light. I can see this as a metal print, on a wall, with a picture light on it.

1 Like

This image really caught my eye as I was scrolling through. My kind of image. What a marvelous job you did capturing it. The leaves are nicely dispersed and show up well against the black background.

1 Like

Matt, this is a well seen “real abstract”. The details show very well while the Willow leaves let the scattered Aspen leaves keep my eyes moving through the frame.

1 Like

Love this one, Matt. This looks very naturally chaotic even though the composition has everything lined up neat and tidy if that makes sense. You might want to cosider dodging the darker triangle inthe right corner to even out the exposure of the scene. Super nice find.