Beaver ponds on the Yellowstone

The fall willows and cottonwoods are at peak color here in Paradise Valley, MT. Back lighting really lets those colors show. This view shows two of the newer ponds along with the ridge covered with basalt and Dome mountain in the distance. (5D3, 14-105 @ 24, 1/160 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod and polarizer)

2 Likes

Mark, most fall color scenes like this really benefit from the light streaming through the foliage. The Dome mountain looming in the BG provides a nice point for the image backdrop too.
Curious about that flattop area to the left of the actual dome. Is that some kind of trailing from the dome volcanic activity?
Only thought for change is to maybe try a small crop from the bottom to see how it looks. Just a thought on my part… :sunglasses:

Paul, that flat ridge is a lava flow from the Yellowstone volcano. If (a big if!) I remember right, it did not come from the main caldera. It runs along the valley for about 10 miles, including crossing the Yellowstone river. I have multiple alternate views of this area, including ones where I was closer to the beaver dam. I’m having a hard time choosing a favorite…

Hey Mark, I understand. That plateau had that look of volcanic or mining type end trails. As this photo seemed a bit familiar to me your comment about having other similar images also makes sense now too… :sunglasses: