Belted Kingfisher

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another look at one of the kingfishers I’ve been lucky enough to view at a local park pond. There were three there hunting this morning but I think they are getting more wary. This is from Saturday.

Specific Feedback

Decided on a square crop for this to give room for the bird to look into. Does the spider web and forked branch in ULC distract?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 800, f7.1, 1/2500s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

Since these birds dive, I think the extra room on the bottom works well, Allen. The fork and spider web just add a little interest to an otherwise fairly mundane perch, so I like them.

I don’t mind the spider web at all. It’s so typical of branches, roots, trees and other stuff on the water - spiders get everywhere and make good livings on them. The bird is so beautifully lit and stands out so well from that smooth background. Looking for a new opportunity no doubt. These guys don’t sit still for long. The complete opposite of herons.

Another gorgeous image! I love the colors and sharpness, and the branch and spiderweb add a bit of interest and authenticity. I like the square crop.