Between Light and Shadow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My favorite conditions for landscape photography. The trees were wrapped in fog that kept changing, and it was challenging to find and freeze a composition before it was gone. This is one of several such images from that morning.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts are welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 32 (64-1EV), 1/25 sec, f/11
Tripod, no filters

Wow!! I love the gossamer look here, with the trees playing hide-and-seek in the swirling mist. It feels unusual, and very nice, to see the variability from the lighter area on the left and then to a more shaded area on the right. A peaceful start to my morning!!

Thank you @Diane_Miller for your kind words :pray:

This is a really nice image Tom! On first quick view, I thought these trees were being pummeled by a wave but after looking closer that interplay of the lighter parts of the fog with the darker is really really nice. This image is really delicate and I think you could push the contrast just a touch more without losing that but enhancing some of the color contrast and tonal contrast. I really like the areas where the warm light and cool “shadows” come together. I took a crack at it with a minor levels adjustment to bring the dark point and mid point over. I also used a curves layer in auto mode set to “enhance per channel contrast” but then flipped it into color for the blend mode which enhanced the warm to cool contrast a ton which I then reduced the opacity to 10-20%. Again I think you can take it just a bit further without giving away what makes this image a joy to look at.

Here is what I’m thinking…

Thanks for sharing!

Wonderful minimalism Tom. I too love the mix of warm and cool. Personal taste, but I prefer a 3:2 crop (removing some of the right).

@David_Wallace I like what you did, will definitely check your process. I always try to find the balance considering people view the image on calibrated screens on one hand, but on high contrast / highly saturated phone screens on the other… your processing looks nice on both, I think. Thanks David!

@John_Williams I totally understand your intention, I agree that works well. Personally I do like the space on the right side, probably indeed a matter of taste… Thank you for your critique and suggestion John :pray:

1 Like

Thank you for the Editor’s Pick @David_Wallace. A huge compliment in such a community.

1 Like

Much deserved! Thank you for sharing it with us.