Light-falls

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken this year on a morning I’d probably remember for a long time. It was the second morning in a row I headed south, and on this morning I took my son with me. The previous morning was beatiful too, but the fog-falls on this particular day were unlike anything I’ve seen before. As the sun rose, they intensified and got that warm glow. One of these times that I wished this short moment would be longer.

Specific Feedback

Personally I really like this image, although as always - reality sends some small interference to remind that it’s not AI work… what do you think? Any feedback and thoughts are welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 64, 5 sec, f/13
Tripod, and a very windy environment.

2 Likes

Stunning Tom. Like a monster wave breaking on a long exposure, love the bronze colour palette too, nothing to criticise, everything to praise just print and hang on my wall please.

What Ian said!! Stunningly beautiful! You did a wonderful job of capturing this with the long SS. I’m surprised it was only 5 sec – I would have thought several minutes. I love the hints of land.

What a fantastic image Tom! Love the diagonal flow.

Tom, this image is very evocative of scenes from the movie Dune. I love the color palette and wavy lines. The interplay between light and shadows is magical. This was beautifully captured and edited.

Your photo definitely made the scene last longer now.

Amazing weather phenomenon. Fog like this would sometimes roll over the San Francisco peninsula and you could see it from hwy 280. I might raise the darks in the lrc judiciously so that one could better make out objects.

Wow, how very cool!

What do you mean by this? The contrast of the bits of “reality” (areas of sharp contrast) vs. the overall surreal look is striking.

@Ian_Cameron @Diane_Miller @Eva_McDermott @Egídio @Igor_Doncov @Bonnie_Lampley Thank you!! Reading your feedback was heart warming!

Your hunch is well founded… The clouds were flowing very fast this morning, with strong winds. Usually it would indeed take longer.

A wonderful book / movie(s). Thank you for your wonderful association Egídio.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov! Seeing that fog rolling in the Bay Area is definitely something I’m planning to try one day.

Some powerlines managed to find their way into the frame (BLC). Easy to clone, but I usually prefer not to. It’s a new line the Electric Company decided to pass through the crater… There was a strong public protest after that, so now most of it is underground. But I think this part will unfortunately stay as it is, since it has to descend the cliff.

1 Like

Sweet image, Tom! This is a beautiful capture of a special moment in time that you should cherish. This had to be awesome to witness first hand. I have no suggestions other than print it and proudly find a spot on the wall for it. Glad you were there to capture this for the rest of us to enjoy.

Thank you so much @Ed_Lowe ! I’ll have to talk to my wife about that spot on the wall…