Zigzag

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of those mornings when I was hoping for fog, I found the valley with weak mist. While not as foggy as I hoped, it allowed for some rays to form, and emphasized the pattern created by the spurs of the hills.

Specific Feedback

All feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 200
150mm, f/14
1/640 sec

1 Like

Hi Tom,
that looks great. Sun and fog is almost always a very good combination. I love all these layers and diagonal lines.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is the bright area in the ULC. I would burn it or crop it out.

Very beautiful. Well done!

Wonderful atmospherics with the perfect landscape for it! I agree with @Jens_Ober about the UL. I think a crop would give a good balance to the image.

Thank you @Jens_Ober @Diane_Miller !
Totally agree regarding that ULC. It felt a bit harsh to completely darken it, and cropping did not result in a ratio or compo that I liked… I’ll definitely give that another thought.
Thanks again for your feedback.

Hi Tom,

This one slipped through the cracks for me, sometimes it’s difficult to keep up with all the images that are submitted for C&C, and sometimes the most frequent commenters are out shooting images of their own. :slight_smile:
I really like this and the title describes the image quite well, those zig zag lines of fog/mist are apparent and easy to see, which makes this image unique in my view.

I like the progression of brighter fog in the center to darker fog in the FG, the color and density of the fog has a nice progression as well.
The distant BG area is a little obscure and mysterious, so, that little triangular area in the ULC helps to somewhat define the scale of the BG mountain/landscape for me.

I do see why the others have suggested cropping or darkening that triangle though.

I love the top to bottom gradient of light gray to light copper tones as well as the somewhat silhouetted trees, there’s enough ambient light to make out a few details in the trees.

Very nicely done and I appreciate the opportunity to see this scene from your part of the world through your lens. :slight_smile:

@Merv it’s really an area I always love coming back to, with or without fog.
Seriously, being out shooting is probably the best reason to not being in front of a computer :smile:
My reasons are probably not as good as yours, so my apologies for taking some time to respond.

That triangle is something I’ve also considered, but darkening a bright area completely is not something I like doing in post-processing - and so I decided to leave it as-is. Nature isn’t always perfect, after all (and well, neither am I as a photographer documenting it).

Thanks a lot for your kind words and feedback :pray:

This image has some great energy and feels really dynamic due to the strong diagonals and the high contrast. I like it a lot. I agree about the ULC though. I would either crop the image from the top or clone out the brighter area or maybe a combination of the two. The bright corner adds a bit of reality to the otherwise abstract feeling shot but at the same time kind of dilutes the otherwise very strong composition. Thanks for sharing this!

Yes, you are so right, I need to get out more often.
Sometimes I lack self motivation though, it comes in cycles for me.
I like working with my hands as well, I have a small machine shop and I have a few ideas for simple custom photography gadgets, it’s just a matter of motivating myself to get those done. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t be too sure about that, look at how long it took me to respond to your response! :roll_eyes:

BTW, even after some time away from viewing this, I still like it just as much as I did the first time!! :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late, late response, Tom! :slight_smile:

Sorry for my delayed reply @Tom_Nevesely ! Somehow after a month with plenty of time to hang around here, work and life took over (it’s 1AM here and I’m still finishing work for yesterday…).
I do agree regarding that ULC, and appreciate your insights regarding that adding some reality. When I first processed this image I did not like cropping it further, but looking at it now it actually seems quite alright… Will definitely check that.

Much appreciated Tom, thanks!