Storm Surge

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of the places I like to return to. It seems that no two foggy mornings are alike… it’s always interesting and challenging to watch and shoot how the fog flows in this valley.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

D850 on a tripod
20sec, ISO31 (LO)
24-70mm @ 38mm, f/16

What a wonderful display of the flow of fog, Tom! :slight_smile:

I imagine that fog is even more unique than clouds in many ways, although some clouds are very unique (like lenticular clouds). Fog seems to get people’s emotions going more than some displays of clouds, I know my emotions always elevate more when I see dramatic fog like this, maybe because it’s so rare where I live?
I do get to see more of it in the mountainous regions when I have the chance to have an extended stay at a cabin for example.
That reminds me, I need to look into reserving a cabin in the mountains for this coming fall.

Speaking of clouds, I like the fog more than the clouds in this but the clouds are a nice complimentary element in this scene! :slight_smile:

It looks like a wonderful addition to your collection, Tom! :slight_smile:

Tom, that must a lovely experience to head up onto that ridge and watch the fog roll by. You’ve captured that sensation well. My only suggestion is that the brightest cloud top in the sun (upper center/right) tends to draw my eye a bit too quickly. Perhaps you could apply a gradient mask to tone that area down just a bit?

@Merv really enjoyed reading your critique. Thank you Merv! I hope that by now you’re all set up for the fall?
Btw I too always prefer fog over clouds! As you said, it does get my emotions going, much more than clouds. But getting them both is always a treat…

@jefflafrenierre thanks Jeff for your words! I understand what you mean with the bright part. As far as I remember this scene had a very wide dynamic range, I did recover some parts but not sure about that area. Will check your suggestion to see if I can get this part to be more balanced. Thanks!