Bewick's Wren and Re-post

This little guy was flitting through the brambles and would occasionally give me a look. I like this for the setting and the singing pose.

Specific Feedback Requested: Do you find the setting too busy? Should there be more room beneath the left foot. Any processing advice is always welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/1000 at f7.1, -1/3 EV; ISO 1250

Well you definitely caught the environment on this one. Nice head turn and open beak. This is the most common wren that I see also my area. I could see 1/2 stop of highlights tone down on the lower part of the face.

1 Like

Hello, I don’t mind the position of the foot at all as I am focused on the bird singing!

I do find the twig behind the top of the birds head distracting but am not skilled enough with postprocessing to suggest how to deal with it. I do sometimes ask myself if twigs behind the bird are distracting because I have been taught they are distracting or if it is really bothersome.

The soft greens and browns match the bird very well and are very pleasing. I am going to this one up on Audobon and see what it sounds like!

1 Like

Allen, great catch! I like the pose and singing. A great moment. I think the highlights underneath could be toned down a bit.

We always have to deal with the twigs and branches…but they’re not a bother here. Well done.

1 Like

Hi Allen, nice open beak pose with a good look at the eye. I like the position of the bird in the frame. I take this as a habitat shot with the surrounding vegetation adding to the story. Agree with toning down the brightness of the plumage beneath the beak.

1 Like

I like this a lot, Allen. I certainly don’t mind the environment-that’s almost always where we encounter these. I do think the chin is pretty hot and agree with toning it down a bit.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Schoen , @Robena.Sirett , @David_Bostock , @Allen_Sparks , and @Dennis_Plank for your comments. Here’s a repost with decreasing the highlights on the chin.

2 Likes

Yup! The rework is better with respect to the color balance and luminosity.

2 Likes

The repost is excellent, Allen.

1 Like