Big Sky, Little Tree

Still going through my 4x5 archives re-processing some old work. I’m pretty sure I posted this on NPN many years ago, but thought I would repost as it fits the theme nicely.

You might recognize this tree as I’ve photographed it many times - certainly more times than anything outside Yosemite… :wink:

Any and all comments welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing, color?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Silhouetted hill too much? Actually, I’m pretty sure given Velvia film, there’s no detail in the scan either… :wink: So a moot question

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

4x5 Velvia. No other details

Can’t say I remember this one, but I love it. Great sky and the tiny tree look great on the ridge line. No detail in the shadows needed at all, the silhouette works great.

Tree, what tree?..:cowboy_hat_face:

Lon, the fact it is a tree gives a bit of scale to the distance here depending upon the lens of course. Was this the good old 450 lens? If so I’d say it’s a bush…:crazy_face:

Like Harley I cannot recall seeing this photo before especially with the wonderful swirling sky here too. I do think your choice of not going 50-50 on the scene between landmass and sky was an excellent idea. This is the perfect fit for the WC theme I’d say…:+1:

1 Like

Lon: Just the right amount of FG silhouette for me and the sky is marvelous. :+1::+1:>=))>

Lon, the sky is great, but that it is indeed the silhouette of that little tree makes this special.

Excellent drama! Has a lot of impact because of the detail in the tree and the leading lines created by the wispy clouds. The contrasting ridge really adds to the composition. You could enter this one in the lone tree competition…

Perfect sky for this little tree, and a lovely post for the WC. The amount of hill is just right for me, and though the color looks a little dark, I like it as is.

As small as it is, that tree stands out like a sore thumb due to the hard, sharp horizon line! The beautiful cloud sprays and blue sky are beautiful but they eyes keep going right back to that tree so it is clearly the primary subject! Well done, Lon and a great choice for the challenge!