Bird on a rock

This black capped Chickadee is one of the few birds I’ve seen around my feeders in the last few days. This was taken this morning under fairly cloudy skies. Yes, it is a tight crop.
The perch is a piece of pumice from Mount Saint Helens; the original owner of my home did some landscaping with some Mount Saint Helens rock, unless of course it wound up here from the original eruption…

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David, this a nice portrait of a bird that is common in CT too. The soft green BG sets him off well and the pumice provides a nice change of pace from the typical branch. I see lots of detail in the feathers and like his downward stance, as if he’s ready for take off.

A nice composition, David. Detail looks good. My only nit is the out of focus foreground pumice on the lower right, but it’s not too bad-maybe a touch of dodging to de-emphasize it?

Great subject, I do wish the perch was all in focus. Nice exposure.

Very nice pose with the slight head turn and as if the chick a dee is going to make a leap. I also like the bg.

I like the pose and excellent detail in the chickadee. Background sets the bird off nicely. I find my eye directed so strongly at the bird, I really don’t take in the OOF rock.