Birds on the Beach

I liked this for the golden sunset colors. Was remarkably noisy for ISO 100-probably due to the low light-so the image is softened some due to noise reduction in LR.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II; Sigma 150-600 at 150 mm; 1/5000 (don’t ask me why); f7.1; ISO 100

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful golden light. I might be inclined to remove the cutoff bird on the right, but not a huge thing. Any versions at a smaller stop for great dof? I have mixed thoughts on the OOF foreground.

Allen, the golden color throughout is delightful. The bird silhouettes are a key to the overall story. I’m amazed at 1/5000 s and Iso 100, that’s supper bright although I see you do have the sun in the frame (behind a cloud).

Allen,
I really like the golden light in this beach scene. You are right about it being noisy. It almost looks as though the image was really under exposed. If this was mine I think I would clone out the cut off bird on the right edge and crop at least 1/2 of the OOF FG. Just my opinion of course. BTW, I really like the wave action.

Nice silhouette scene, Allen! I like the golden light and the birds definitely are the main attraction. The waves are so dark if looks like land in the background until you open up the large version and get the details. I’m with the crop opinion (taking out the gull on the right and some of the oof bottom.)

The story here is certainly the golden colors. I like the idea of a crop of OOF fore and to just inside the birds on the right. Very nice.

Allen,

Gotta agree with others that the golden light captured is beautiful. I like the strong reflection and the birds add a lot. Regarding the bird on the right - interesting because I think with the dark line stroke, I’m not bothered - if this was just against a white border/background, the bird may catch the eye more; not sure if that makes sense.

I would consider a small crop off the bottom to remove the lower most oof bright reflection, but I wouldn’t go all the way to remove the brightest reflected line - I like that one.

Overall the contrast is a bit high, but certainly appropriate given the light, time of day, etc.

Quite and enjoyable seascape.

Lon

1 Like