Birth Announcement

A few weeks ago I posted an image of a Killdeer Sitting on its nest in my driveway. Yesterday all four chicks were born and I was there to experience the process. Quite amazing to watch. Initially the chicks appeared to be dead but within less than an hour, they were up and moving around. In fact, the parents had trouble keeping up with them. Another pair of Killdeer came by to assist the parents in corralling the young. My plan is to post more images as I get them. These photos were taken from behind blind or with my Nikon on a camouflaged tripod hooked up to a Cam Ranger.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

all images shot with either D 500 plus 500 with 1.4X or A7R3 100-400 at 400 plus 1.4X

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

First image is a family scene
Second image is the Killdeer chick within minutes of emerging from its egg.
Third image is a very large crop taken about an hour after it started moving around.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

A great set of images, David. It does a wonderful job of telling the story.

Nice series of shots David. Really tells the story well. Those chicks are adorable.

Really wonderful shots. I like these so much. Thank you for posting them.

Really nice story of your Killdeer family, David. Right now, we have one in our yard that has been sitting out there on her nest in the 100+ temps, directly in the sun. I don’t know how they are doing it. What nature will do to care for their young.