Newly Hatched

This is a newly hatched Killdeer (last one of four) standing up for the very first time. Immediately after it hatched, it was wet and matted and just lying there. Mom and dad were out corralling the three other chicks. The mom would come over and sit and warm up this chick periodically over a 90 minute period. When she left this time, the hatchling just stood up and stared at me. Very cute.
The second image was taken just before she stood up and went off to find the other chicks. This chick almost immediately was out and running around the field.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-1000, 500 mm +1.4 extender, F8,2000th, D 500, handheld, 75% of full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very cute indeed, David! The white balance is a little too cool for me. There is a steely look to the white feathers, perhaps warming it up a little bit will make the image more pleasing?

A real cutie and tells the story well - thanks for your explanation. Exposure looks fine to me given the environment.

Great pose on the adult at the bottom David, very cute baby, I think I would take a touch off the bottom on that frame, nicely done.

Excellent, David. I like both images. I do see what Nate is thinking of on the chick image, though I wouldn’t take much off.

Beautiful shots, David. I am enjoying your series of images of the Killdeers. That baby is so cute staring right into the camera. I agree, on the baby’s image, maybe a touch off the bottom. To me the colors look fine.