Killdeer

I have a pair of Killdeer nesting in my gravel driveway and fortunately they are right at the edge of the driveway. The female laid two eggs one day and came back in deposited a third one the next day. What I find interesting is that they don’t seem to spend very much time on the nest itself. They do spend a lot of time chasing other critters away from the nest. It sure is fascinating to watch.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-800, 500 mm +1.4 extender, F8, 2000th, D 500, handheld lying on my belly on my garage floor. Overcast. Full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

I really like that you managed to get down to eye level.

Nice to have such a thing handy, David. You could probably get some cool video of some of their displays. How long has it been since that third egg was laid? They may be planning on more and they don’t actually start to incubate until they’re all laid. I think most shorebirds like a set of four. Excellent detail in the Killdeer and the low angle made for great separation from the background.

Good detail and the red eye really stands out. Nice low point of view.

Hi David, the details on the bird are truly excellent and the exposure looks good too. I might try a crop with more off the bottom just to see what you think.