Killdeer #2

Another Killdeer. As I was mentioning yesterday, we had a Killdeer nest last year and late yesterday evening, I found the nest this year with three eggs. I will show both the Killdeer shot I got yesterday which is a much closer crop and I will add the egg image as part of the story. Incubation period is somewhere around 28 to 30 days.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-400, 100-400+ extender, F8, 1250th, handheld, A7R4, 70% of full frame APC mode 20MP.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Beautiful story and photo David. Can’t wait to see the photos of the little ones. My eyes were first drawn to the birds gorgeous eye with the orange ring, how could i miss it. I also like how he/she seems to be staring right at you. Wonderful capture. Good luck with the rest of the story.

This is really cool, David. I think this species usually lays four eggs, but it looks like she decided that rock was close enough and let it go at three. If the rock goes away and a fourth egg shows up, it will really be interesting behavior, but either way it’s something I haven’t heard of. The Killdeer shot is sweet, though I think you’re sharpening routine ended up being just a bit too much. I’m seeing just a thin fringe along the back, over he head and on both sides of the bill.

Last year it did the same thing and dropped the 4th a day later. Only 5% sharpening here…

Pretty eggs and well camouflaged. It is a skimpy nest and you would have to think that rock has to go for another egg to survive.

Nice shots and interesting information as well. Hope the eggs will all hatch ! Keep us posted :slight_smile: Cheers, Hans

Good photos and story line. Look forward to seeing photos of the chicks.