Killdeer

Last spring, I had a Killdeer nest in my gravel driveway. The birds have returned and appear to be looking for a good spot to nest. Killdeer environment isn’t the most interesting. They are either in the gravel driveway or on the lawn. They seem to be less fearful of me this year than they were last year. But they still are playing dead.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-320, 100-400+1.4 extender at 820 mm APC mode, F8, 1250th, A7R4, handheld, 60% of APC frame or roughly 19 megapixels.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Superb detail in the Killdeer, David and it looks like a fairly ow angle, which got the background pretty well out of focus. I think perhaps a touch more room on the right would be nice and possibly some extra blur on the background?

Awesome photo David. The sharpness and color of the bird came out great. I might try a small crop on top some and on the left. The flower on the left is sharp and pulls me a little away from the bird. I wonder if softening it might help. The foreground ground being sharp and the background soft is great. I also love the direction the bird is and his slight turn to the left, the eye is very sharp which I know is what we need to aim at. Beautiful photograph of this bird.

I like the alert pose. Good color and detail and gotta love the red eye ring. As you say, a pretty typical environment and I like what you have of it.

A nice low look at this bird. Nice and sharp with focus where it needs to be. I like the inclusion of all the typical habitat and might prefer a bit more behind the bird.

Very well done and looking forward to hopefully seeing some shots of the chicks.