Killdeer Egg Incubation Time

I set up my camera in a blind with a Cam Ranger and was easily able to follow this nesting Killdeer from the comfort of my garage. There are now four eggs, the last one deposited a day after my last post with I believe the same bird. According to what I have read, both the male and female sit on the eggs but I believe the female is the only one I have seen so far. In this image, the four eggs are right below the chest of the Killdeer

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Although I would have preferred to be a little lower for depth of field reasons, the eggs would not have been visible if I had been at the same level as the bird.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-200, 300 mm PF, F6 .3, 1250th, D 500, natural light, camera on a tripod with Cam Ranger. Minimal sharpening.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

If one approaches the nesting Killdeer, it starts verbalizing loudly and runs off and acts injured. This is a normal defense mechanism for this species. Here’s a picture of it acting as if it has a broken wing. This draws attention away from the well camouflaged nest.

Those eggs are certainly well camouflaged amongst the rocks. Nice detail in both birds.

Hi David,
I really like how the eggs are visible after a bit of searching for them. Very well camouflaged as Allen states. A nice environmental look at this behavior. Good details also. Nice frame.

Very cool, David. It’s nice when they come to you. I’ll have to get you to show me the Cam Ranger. I’ve heard of them, but don’t remember much about how they work.

I really like both shots, David. Great detail in both. I have one in our yard that does the broken wing act each morning for the last few days when I head out to walk, so I know her nest in out near the corner of our yard, as she is leading me away from that area and acting as though she is injured. Looking forward to her young ones, hoping I can get a few photo opportunities with them.