Black-headed Grosbeak

I got this guy this morning near a suet block. I always like seeing them show up seasonally. Not only are they fun too look at but they have a very pleasant song too.

Specific Feedback Requested

I dodged its body some but I’m wondering if it perhaps needs a little more?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, hand held, 1/2500th, f 8.0, 750mm, ISO 1100, AI Sharpen, cropped to 1206 x 1416

Hi Dave, nice sharpness on the head and back of this beauty. Color rendition is pleasing on the bird plumage in the sun. I like the thin diagonal perch and distant background. I’m thinking dodging more of the plumage in the shadows would only create noise without detail.

Typical cautious, quizzical look. Very nice pose and sharpness. I think the shadows could be brought up a bit and I’ve had excellent luck cleaning up the resulting noise and bringing out detail in the shadows I didn’t think possible, at least with my Canon R5.

Nice pose, Dave. I think you’d have better results bringing up the shadows globally, rather than dodging. I like to do that kind of thing in Lightroom first. If you do just the bird, the difference in the shadows between it and the perch start becoming too obvious.