Black Swallowtail Butterfly

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any Canon 5DS R, f 8, 1/320sec., iso 250. Used 180 Macro lens with Ctr. Wt. Avg. setting. Do not know the variety of flower but it sprouts up in the fall and seems to move about the yard from original planting.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Have no idea what the flower is but its bright red flowers surrounding the butterfly give the image good impact. No suggestions for improvement from me.

Wayne, this is like adding a topping to your ice cream, having that beautiful butterfly on the those lovely red flowers. Well done.

Thanks Shirley, I’ve since learned that this flower, “Hurricane Lily” is from Asia, transplanted to N.C. and now grows wild there. My neighbor has a yard full of them and many butterflies to boot.

1 Like

John Wayne: Wonderful party crasher. My only suggestion would be to crop a bit from the top and right side. It cuts off the anthers a bit on the right but I think eliminating a bit of the BG makes this stronger. Top notch shot. >=))>