Black-throated Sparrow

This one is considered a rarity for my part of coastal Southern California, I went “chasing” after it hoping to add it to my sparrow collection and life list. It was foraging and hopping around behind shrubs and rocks and when it got near this log, I took a knee and waited for it to hop up.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are appreciated. Edits were done in Lightroom, I brushed down some annoying highlights from the soft background and did the same with the log. Used a “select subject” mask and opened up shadows and whites just a bit on the bird.

Technical Details

Nikon D7100 with 200-500 lens at 500mm, f8 @ 1/2500s at 2000 ISO. I have recently started shooting birds with auto ISO and original exposure has been better and more consistent.

2 Likes

A very nice look at the sparrow-I like the pose and detail. Also like the setting you captured it in. Always nice to get a rare bird showing up.

A very good image of this sparrow, Stephen. We don’t have them here, though I’ve photographed them in Texas. This one posed very nicely for you and you took full advantage of it.

Congrats on catching it - for a twitch quite a satisfying shot as well I’d say. Delicate bird as well. Nice work !

@Allen_Brooks @Dennis_Plank @Hans_Overduin Thanks for your comments.

One of my favorite sparrows and am glad that you were able to see and photograph the bird. You have done well with the comp and the distracting BG is soft enough to not be a problem. The soft lighting is especially nice. A slightly tighter crop might work as well. For now leaving it as presented is fine for me. Well done…Jim

@Jim_Zablotny , Thanks for you comments and thoughts on the image, Jim, they are much appreciated.