Black Turnstone

Hello NPN Community-
Black Turnstone, my first post to this forum.
I was on my knees; the wave that the bird is stepping up from promptly got me. Lesson learned.
Looking for any/all feedback.
Sony a7Riv, Sony 100-400 at 400mm; ISO 125, f/6.3, 1/1000s.
Cropped, blacks brought up a bit, whites down a bit in LR; Topaz DN for minor noise reduction and minimal sharpening.
Thanks, Barry

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Barry
Your wet knees made for a vary nice first photograph. The framing, action and detail combine to form a good looking photograph.
Peter

1 Like

Nice post, Barry. I like the low angle (sorry about getting wet) and the pose with the raised leg. Can’t recall seeing one on the shoreline before.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN and the Avian forum, Barry. This is a fine image. The detail in the Turnstone is excellent and it doesn’t look as if the whites are blown, which would be easy to do with this species. I can only think of a couple of suggestions: The first is that even with plentiful light, you might keep your iso a bit higher. While it is supposed to reduce your dynamic range slightly, I’ve never found it noticeable and it would have given you enough shutter speed to stop the moving leg (assuming you wanted to do so). Second, you don’t mention a crop, but if you have more room above the bird, I think a little bit extra up there might make this fine image even better.

1 Like

Hi Barry, Good job on the exposure and nice low angle. I like the composition as well. I am looking forward to seeing more.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!
Barry

Very nice post. Good job on the composition and exposure. On my monitor I see a very scant blue cast in some of the white plumage. The image does have an overall cool color balance so that may be the reason.

1 Like

Nice low angle. You have to get wet and muddy for good bird photography…
1/1000 should have froze the foot, bad luck, but all else looks good.

1 Like

Hi Barry: Nice to see you here. This is a very nice image. Exposure is spot on. I like the foot raised with a tad of blur to show the motion. I could see a bit more room at the bottom if you have it.