Black Vulture

Black Vulture portrait . Not much color here to begin with. Seemed perfect for a black and white. May not be the most visually appealing subject, but every animal serves a purpose in nature. Imagine the mess without nature’s garbage collectors.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Composition and subject interest

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I think the B&W was a nice choice for this portrait, Brett. The high contrast allowed you to bring out a lot of cool detail in the face and adds character to the bird. Two things I’d suggest for this one are to flip the image horizontally and crop some of the empty space off. I downloaded it and did those two things, so see what you think of the results.

Thanks

Like the crop. See what you mean.

As far as the flip, I’m familiar with the left-to-right presentation, but never really mattered to me, but that is me.

Thanks again :sunglasses:

Lanis, I think going for a high contrast monochrome presentation was a good choice. It does a great job isolating the subject against the background, and it really brings out the textures in the face.

Like you, I don’t see a need to flip. I’ve never given left-to-right any thought before. As for the crop, I lean toward your original choice, as the crop Dennis presented puts the vulture’s face in sort of a no-man’s land… not quite centered, not quite balanced in the “first third.” Seeing the cropped version makes me want to then crop more off the left to move the vulture away from the center… or just crop from the right and make it a tighter vertical portrait. Pretty soon I’d probably just be down to an eyeball if I went down that path. :wink:

Max

I really like the graphic nature of the photo, and I prefer the original frame, looking right-to-left and with the extra space. My only suggestion is to try and sharpen the tip of the beak a bit.