Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

Image 10

Image 11

Image 12

Project Description

Test Project to see how this works
After uploading I came back here to ask for help on the order of the images.

Self Critique

Some folks like mountains my fascination is with wetlands. Being in the quiet of a swamp seems timeless and primeval.
These images were from a commissioned trip to the southeast United States (TX, LA, FL, and Georgia).
What I like about this project is how the images found me.

Creative Direction

Visually communicating the beauty and simplicity of our wetlands is what I try to accomplish.
Too many people think of swamps as scary dark places, I need to have people see the importance of what they bring to mankind.

Specific Feedback

Photography to me is a partnership between nature and the artist.
I am drawn to seeing nature as art, not just a record of what is present.
Documentary images are great, that is just not my vision.
So I am looking for aesthetic and emotional feedback.

Intent of the project

Gallery Exhibition

Additional Details: I was commissioned by a hotel in New Orleans to create images of Louisiana marshes.
They found my images here on NPN, from last year’s swamp trip.

Alternate Images

Please provide feedback on whether any of these images would fit more cohesively in the project.

1 Like

Stunning work, it will make a great exhibition, as a body of work it makes me want to see this place for myself. Looking at it as an on-line gallery, Image 1, which is my favourite of the set, is quite different in style, I expect it’s less of an issue for an actual physical exhibit in a bigger space than the very compact online space here, but if you have more images in that style, it might be worth including another to make it less unique. Image 7 is quite similar to 2 and, to a lesser degree to 4, I’d perhaps consider dropping either 2 or 7, though again, the similarity is undoubtedly accentuated by the compactness of the on-line space here.

Steve, All I can say. An amazing project . So well made in my eyes !!

Wow – I love these!! The collection is wonderful and B/W was a wonderful choice – art at its best!

First, congrats on the commission! And they found your photos here - cool.

All of these are super on their own. Maybe it’s because I’ve never seen a swamp like this, but the collection feels disjointed. I don’t get the connection between the bigger landscape tree scenes and the details of the lily pads (which are absolutely FABULOUS!).

Maybe if there were more “intermediate” shots between the trees and fine-detail shots it would feel more cohesive (at least for me). That being said, I bet the hotel folks like them all!