Blair Bridge c.1869

In Compton, NH this bridge still gets traffic over the Pemigewasset River just fine. It’s a single lane wide so people take turns crossing. It’s almost 293 feet long.

A NH bridges website has this to say - The first bridge at this location was built in 1829 at a cost of $1,000. That bridge was burned down by a man named Lem Parker who claimed that God told him to do it. Parker was taken to court and confessed to the charges. However, he was found not guilty because there were no witnesses. The construction of the current bridge was brought about when a doctor trying to ford the river on horseback found the current too strong. The horse drowned, but the doctor was saved. The town voted to build a bridge immediately. A sign was posted on the bridge indicating there was a fine of five dollars for riding or driving on the bridge faster than five miles per hour. It was rebuilt by Milton Graton and his son Arnold in 1977 at a cost of $59,379. The town of Campton and the state shared the cost of the repair. The Blair Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

Most pictures of this in fall feature a lot of colorful trees and bright blue skies. Not in the cards the day I shot this.

Specific Feedback Requested

The tree. I know.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod and maybe a polarizer, can’t recall.

Processed in Lr for a lot of tonal management, a crop and heavy desaturation. Lens correction & transform to fix geometry a little. Sharpening & nr, but not a lot. Ps to remove some road signs on the far end.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

The tree works for me, to put a stop to the endless bridge! As does the fog on the other end. Quite a story, and glad the bridge (and the doctor) survived. The sepia tone works well with the historic context, and the reflection is a lovely touch.

I like the image and the bridge. Agree with @Diane_Miller that the tree is OK. Maybe you could darken a tad the lighter part of the FG reflection in the water. It was great that the State rebuild this bridge as it seems more or less following the original blue prints.