Marshall Bridge

Several years ago I did a little poking around through SW Indiana and covered bridges was on the agenda. There are quite a few and being across small rivers they are in areas that are still forested, preserving something of what must have been their ambiance back in the day. (A mile away there was usually a cornfield that went on forever. ) Most are difficult to photograph, due to need to find an angle where you can clone out the road signs. This was the cutest, for me. It’s on a gravel back road and looks pretty authentic. I did remove a group of signs to the right.

The admonition to cross at a walk refers to the horse-drawn wagons of the day.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D3, 24-70 f/2.8 at 70, ISO 800, 1/320, f/9. Tripod. Re-processed with today’s LR/PS tools but with only very subtle changes from my original processing. Not much done tonally but I did add a light dose of Glamour Glow as I felt it enhanced the quiet autumn light a bit.

Nicely done if a little bright IMO. New England is littered with the things and I’ve photographed many. Am always pleased to see the walk don’t run signs still in force even if it’s only cars that cross. I like even more that it’s still a dirt road and you’ve included some of it. The glow is nice, gives it an artistic flair rather just a documentary approach. Putting road signs near picturesque bridges should be illegal.

I love these covered bridge, and you have captured a really good image of one! The light lit wood make a great framing of the bridge. To erase all signs are the correct thing to do. Personally, I also like that you could see the structural system inside (at the right wall).

Nice work on this bridge, Diane. We have several covered bridges here in Oregon. I’ve enjoyed shooting them, but like you said, it’s hard to get a good angle and those pesky signs are always in just the wrong spot.