Bleached Beach

A single shot of bleached shells I shot back in 2011. I can’t tell you what the red spots are…but they were over many of the shells and may represent a fungus or aerophyte? I’d be open to any ideas.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D300, 24-70 f/2.8 at 44mm(effective 66mm); ISO 200, 1/320 at f/8.0

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

certainly a lot going on and a lot to look at here in this image. I think you could probably darken it by. And increase on the contrast.

I agree that dropping the exposure might help particularly in the brighter areas. It might bring out some colors. It’s interesting to speculate where this was shot. I’m thinking Florida. The red specs look like young corals or coralline algae trying to settle in and establish themselves but the intertidal exposure is limiting them. I’ve seen them on dead corals in the south seas. I don’t think fungus lives in saltwater, does it?

Like the almost high key treatment, Jim - and especially the mood of this which seems to carry more than a hint of memento mori

Jim: Because of the light I like this as is. The myriad small diverse elements are delightful. Well seen and captured. >=))>

Jim, the details here are outstanding. While I could see some darkening, the longer I look, the better I like your high key approach here. That works well at creating the feeling of a bright day on the beach.

What a cool collection of shells and corals, Jim. A beachcomber’s paradise. I love the composition you chose-it does a great job of leading my eye around the frame. I don’'t know what the red is either-it almost looks like a lichen. @Jim_Zablotny might know. A very cool image.

A really neat shell shot Jim and a very colorful collection. Quite a variety too and I enjoyed trying to identify some I have seen. I would like to see the exposure reduced a bit also, which may bring out the colors too; would have to experiment with it. Have never seen that red before, here in New England, but I’m thinking the red tide has come to Florida in the past so maybe…

The red spots are a type of encrusting red alga. The red alga incorporates calcium in its cellular matrix and these algae are the glue that holds reefs together. Nice image with lots of interesting shapes. Well done…Jim

Thanks for chiming in, Jim. I thought you’d have an explanation for the red.

A great collection of miscelaneous beach objects, Jim! very busy but all the colors, shapes and textures can keep you looking for quite some time, especially in the lage version!

Thanks @David_Schoen, @Igor_Doncov, @Ian_Wolfenden, @Bill_Fach, @Mark_Seaver, @Dennis_Plank, @Jim_Lockhart, @Jim_Zablotny & @Gary_Minish for your comments.

I took the original file, reprocessed with Lr and Ps and I think it’s less contrasty, but perhaps a little more colorful than the previous post. This image wants to stay high-key and emphasize textures and shapes, so I’ll leave it with the 2nd processing, which I like better with less of a hint of green in the light.

If interested, let me know which you like best…the 2nd is even less contrasty in shadows.