"Florida Comfort"

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Knowing that the eye normally goes to the brightest part of the image, the brightest part of this image may be up front, meaning that maybe the eye might stop moving at the front, and not keep traveling thru the photo??? I just found myself wanting to bring more brightness to the closest shells. So I’m not sure how I could have handled that differently?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Sony A7R4, Metabones Smart Adaptor, Canon 17mm TS-E lens

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

dougbluntphotos

1 Like

I quite like this shot, Doug.

The color pallet is very pleasing to the eye.

IMO it would have been great to get all the seashells in focus using focus stacking. Also the wide angle has caused some distortion to the horizon, which can be easily adjusted in post.

Nicely seen!

I like this photo Doug because it feels like a very serene place to be. The colors and position of the shells draw my eyes right to the sunset, so at least my eyes didn’t stop. I am not sure, but would “landscape” have worked in this situation? Really nice photo.

Very nice. I think perhaps the some selective dodging of one or two shells might do the trick. I like the overall comp, and the distortion is noticeable, but also familiar in a ts lens, so it didn’t both me.

I might be inclined to crop just a tish off the top to remove the holes in the clouds top right, but also to slightly reduce the amount of frame on the clouds. Where the clouds are lighter in the center, I think the crop could reduce that variation and keep the eye in the frame by emphasizing the darkness of the cloud bank.
ML

I really like this image. And the vignette used gives a fairly natural highlight to the foreground with a nice border at the bottom that contains the image. My only question is that it feels as though the white shell was placed by man into the center of the large shell at the bottom. It just looks suspicious to me because nature isn’t perfect. Perhaps this is similar to a recent comment by a contributor who stated that he avoids geometrical shapes because they draw the eye.

This is probably the pickiest of nits you’ll receive on a very nice image, but I really don’t care for the ‘mat’ you’ve framed the image with. IMO, such things should either help the image standout from it’s immediate surrounding, or it should hide from the image. Think light/bright options for the former or dark options for the latter.

The color used here seems to be trying to blend in with the sand, but is too dull for that and doesn’t work around the cloud areas at all…for me. If you don’t care for black/white choices, a much brighter version of that same color I believe would have been more attractive.