Blessing

I’ve tried Black and white this time, inspired by Max Waugh’s article. In this case, I’ve used it to hopefully create a more stark image that conveys the idea of the subject – a single murre-- has had its color removed to symbolize the plight of the murre population. The murre is standing atop the “mountain” in a pose of giving a blessing despite the fact that the population of murres has been reduced by at least 800,000 from deaths due to their food source migrating into deeper, cooler waters beyond the reach of diving murres because of climate change. The plight was vividly felt in Anchorage, AK, where I live, as murres were uncharacteristically flying inland and dying of starvation.

Blessing

Specific Feedback Requested

Is the murre too small to convey the message, how could I make a better photograph?

I like the idea of this a lot, David. The pose of the Auk really works well with the title. I think you’ve hit the problem, which is simply that the Auk is so small in the frame that one has to search for it to figure out what that title is all about. I’m thinking it might work better if you cropped from the bottom to just about the top of the surf and maybe add a bit on top (but not a lot as you want to get the bird larger in the frame). Then if you could figure out how to get a bit more visual separation of the auk from it’s background I think this might work well.

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s funny, but you said that one has to search for the auk, which, in a way is exactly the situation today. In Homer, lines of murres were everywhere during the Shorebird festival. But now, small clumps are around and you have to search for them. I hadn’t thought about that as part of the message. But in another way, aesthetically, you’re right as I suggested, that the auk is too small. I’ve taken your suggestions and added a bit. I thought that leaving the other murres on top might work as they are all facing another direction and leaving (symbolically as well). I’ve also added some effects to highlight (literally) the murre. What do you think? Too much?

I think this works much better, David. The additional birds don’t distract from the main character. I’m not sure what you did to the processing, but it looks like you picked up a fair amount of fringe on the edges of the rock at the bottom and a bit inside the arch that you might want to clean up.

1 Like

I agree completely. Darkening most of the image pixelated it. It significantly did so on the top, so I tried to smudge it into cloud structures. But, I missed a lot as you say. But you should have seen it before I worked on that problem. Thanks for the advice. I think you’re right about your suggestions, They made this is a better picture.

My vote goes to the second post, it looks much better.

PS. I’m shifting the post to Avian Critique, as it belongs there.

I’ve attempted to fix the pixelation from the view between the rocks. BTW, this is Gull Island, located at Homer, AK.