Hovering *and re-post*

Here is a re-post, where I de-saturated the purple on the back wing. Not sure if this solve some apparent fringing, but I prefer this re-post for removing the purple in original:

A little Say’s Phoebe was flitting up and around a grassy area. They are flycatchers, so it was going from its perch to the grassy area back to its perch, hovering and fluttering over the grass, catching gnats etc. He didn’t seem to mind me being there…I hid by some bushes and tried my best to track its fast maneuvers. Most of the images were all way too blurry, but I ended up with a couple I liked. This is my favorite!

Specific Feedback Requested

I’ll try to incorporate some of the recent discussion about critiques, and give you some of my thoughts of what my intention is. I am looking mostly for comments regarding the emotional, aesthetic quality of this image, more than the technical aspect. But I’m open to good ole “anything” too.

My goal and vision is to convey “Avian Spirits”. I want to capture the energy and motion of birds through the use of slow shutter speeds. It is difficult but I really like the challenge. Hopefully one day I’ll have enough to put together a set/book.

Technical Details

D500 with 200-500mm lens.

1/125 shutter speed, 400mm, f/8, ISO 100

In Lightroom I darkened the background and increased the Whites in the wings to just make the bird pop. I tried not to blow out the wings…I just wanted them to radiate! Some sharpening around the eyes, and some vibrance, saturation of the bird’s colors. In Photoshop I ran Topaz DeNoise, and also added a slight Orton Effect to add an ethereal quality.

1 Like

I think you did a pretty good job of capturing the energy and motion, Mark. However, to me, this feels like the bird is isolated in midair with no real direction. I know it’s asking an awful lot, but if there were an insect in the air in the direction of the head turn it would really make this image for me.

I think this communicates well an artistic view of the splendor of flying birds. I like that the head is the sharpest part of the image with the rest of the image having a radiating blur. I think the space and background around the bird works well.

Spirit is right! I think this embodies a lot about how think about birds and their ability to fly. We romanticize them, fantasize about them and marvel at their fluidity and freedom. This one seems to be cheekily saying to me - catch me if you can! I love that and think you nailed.

In the spirit of anything - is there some lens fringing going on? Specifically in the purple/green areas? There is a bit of that around the wings and something around the legs, too. Not sure if it’s just a product of the motion or processing, but it sticks out to me, FWIW.

But oh, what a joyful image. Makes me wish I had wings.

@Dennis_Plank , thanks for your comments. I see what you mean about just floating there. It was indeed basically just hovering at this moment, maybe between gnats or viewing a gnat. A fly or gnat would definitely add a lot to this. I’ll keep that in mind as I keep shooting.
@Allen_Sparks I’m glad this strikes your artist’s sensibility. I want to portray not just the thing, but something about the thing, if that makes sense. The fluttering wings helps me with this.
@Kris_Smith, thanks so much. You have a gift for words, and to me your words here convey a lot of what I’m trying to say about these beautiful creatures. Thank you.
Ha ha, thanks for your “anything” comment! I’m not sure what is happening with the fringing, if it’s my editing or part of the motion blur. I did use Subject masks in Lightroom a couple times, for the Subject and then inverted to darken the background. That could be it. I also now see the back wing as too purple, so I’ll re-post an image where I try to minimize that purpleness.

Definitely conveys an angelic feeling. I’m debating in my mind Dennis’s comment and wonder if any environmental component adds or detracts from your vision of showing their energy and motion. I think you accomplished your goal in this image. Look forward to more images from this project.

Very good use of motion. What needs to be in focus is perfect. I like the mood created by the image.

Thank you @Allen_Brooks and @David_Schoen. I’ll experiment with including more environmental elements. That’ll add yet another challenge. I’m glad you both see me progressing toward my goal.