Light Flight

Original post:

Version 2 (cropped from the right):

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like how the blurriness of the Gull conveys motion and energy. I love how a moment in time is kind of stretched out, by seeing the graceful positions of this Gull’s wings captured over just microseconds! I also like the simplicity of the image, and the touch of magenta that I added to the otherwise blue background, which gives the scene a little more colorful interest.

Creative direction

I intentionally panned with a slow shutter speed (0.4 seconds) to try to capture energy and motion with blur. This is one of the slowest shutter speeds I’ve done with birds in flight.

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic and Emotional: how does this appeal to you, and does it capture energy and motion?

Conceptual: I thought about posting this in the Abstract category, but in reading the category description this image seems fairly recognizable, so I’ve posted it here in the Avian category.

Technical Details

D500 with 70-200 lens. 200mm (350mm equiv), f/4, ISO 100, 0.4 seconds.

I used a 6-stop ND filter to help control exposure.

Photoshop edits include a High Pass filter (Overlay mode) to add a little definition to the blurry Gull (which seems almost like a contradiction…adding definition to blur!), some Topaz DeNoise, and I also added a soft magenta color layer that I mixed into the background, for some color interest.

Description

Experimenting once again with slower shutter speeds and birds in flight. This was one of my slowest speeds yet (0.4 seconds) and I knew I wouldn’t get anything in focus, but that was OK as I knew I wanted blurry motion, conveying the spirit of the bird and its motion through time and space!

1 Like

Love it, Mark. For me, it certainly does portray a sense of happy energy. Also do have the feeling of a bird in flight. The hint of magenta also works for me, not too much, but as you said, just a hint to add interest, Great shot!

1 Like

I really like this, Mark, though I suspect you’d get more response in the Abstract category. I’ve tried some of this kind of thing and never gotten this nice a result. The definition of the wings and their brightness in some positions is what makes this work for me. The brightness draws me into the image and then I start to notice the other positions. Personally, I’m not sure the magenta adds much-I think the varying shades of blue would carry the image, but that’s just personal taste.

A very evocative image and the kind of thing that people would be likely to hang on a wall-particularly in a home with modern decor.

PS: I think this would look awesome as a metal print.

@Mark_Muller I sent a link to this to a non-NPN photographer in my photography club who is really into bird abstracts and she suggested a canvas print. She thought it would convey the ethereal nature more than a metal print. She has a lot of experience at printing, so I’d trust her before me.

2 Likes

I kept looking for a good description, Mark, then I read your description, your words done a great job of summing it up for me.

“The spirit of the bird and its motion through time and space”

I really appreciate the approach you took to get this image! Very artistic and very effective at conveying the essence of flight.

Well done IMHO! :slight_smile:

P.S. I really like the glow created by motion blur and the slight magenta color adds to the overall look.
The use of a high pass filter did very well at defining the wings and the horizontal lines in the surface of the water.

1 Like

Wonderful! I really appreciate your creative vision. You have achieved the simplicity, energy, and motion you were after. If I had not read your title (which I like) I don’t think I would have seen this as an abstraction of wings on first viewing…and that is a cool thing. I also like your colour story…well done!

1 Like

Very well done Mark! An intriguing and creative image - wonderful execution of the slow shutter speed. I like your color choices also. Definitely conveys beauty in motion in this abstract way. Well done!

1 Like

Wow! A very unique image , Mark. Such nice job on the execution and the processing work. I like the subtle detail of the wings and the various shades of blue water.

1 Like

Well done. Takes a lot of work to get a good image like this one to show up with just the right amount of detail in just the right amount of blur.

1 Like

Exceeding well done - a lot of mystery, but done very tastefully.
? slightly less canvas on the right ?

A metal print screams out at me!

1 Like

Hi Mark! I love this like all of your bird photos. I had no idea it was a gull! I thought it was a swan taking off from the water. A very graceful and beautiful image.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank , Thanks for the extra feedback! I was on the fence as to how to print this. I appreciate your thoughts and those of your friend. I think I’ll give canvas a go!
@Karl_Zuzarte , I added a slightly cropped Version 2. I think I like the crop better than the original. Thanks for the feedback.
Thank you @linda_mellor , @Dennis_Plank , @Merv , @Robena.Sirett , @Allen_Sparks , @Stephen_Stanton , @David_Schoen , @Karl_Zuzarte , and @Vanessa_Hill for all your feedback and supportive comments! I very much appreciate you all!

3 Likes

I really like the crop, Mark! Just that little adjustment really elevates it to fine art like so many of your images! Beautiful work!

1 Like

Wow, this is fascinating. I do enjoy the version 2 crop a bit more.

1 Like

@Mark_Muller , this is a GEM! I especially love the bright white of the wings with the added color of the background. My only suggestion would be you do more at this shutter speed and let us all see what you come up with!! VERY nicely done.

1 Like

@Eric_Bennett and @Vanessa_Hill, I think the crop works better too. Thanks for your feedback!
@JohnSnell , Thanks so much! I will keep on shooting at this shutter speed and maybe I’ll have a project to show you all!?!

1 Like

I would love to see that project!

1 Like

That’s great creativity Mark, the project will be fun to see. Congrats on the EP!

1 Like