Green Macaw in Flight

Description:

Reviewing some older images that I haven’t processed. This one from Costa Rica in July 2017.
I really wanted to get a shot of this bird in flight with a slow shutter speed against the lush green backgrounds where they hang out. Pan blurs are tough and the success rate for me is pretty low. This one isn’t perfect as I’d like the head to be a bit sharper, but still pretty happy with the result.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No

Canon 5D Mark IV, 100-400 at 400mm, 1/80, f/14, ISO 1600

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Nice complementary colors here. The pan worked well. Focus is acceptable. The horizontal streakiness of the BG makes the image work for me.

This is very good, Keith. The colors of the Macaw match the background so well and the motion blur on the background is just about perfect. Plus you got a really nice angle of flight relative to you.

I like this a lot Keith. The colors are vibrant and the blur of the background is perfect with just a bit of texture. On my phone the head looks sharp enough to me! I love these kinds of shots. Yes, the keeper rate is low! Well done!

Stunning! The colors and softly blurred motion more than makes up for the slight blur in the head.

It certainly looks good to me. Lush colors and an excellent flight pose c/w a nice blur. And so many variables.

Despite the head, it’s s stellar image - and a proof that sharpness isn’t always everything. I love the colours, movement and the whole feeling it gives to the viewer. Awesome shot ! Cheers, Hans

Colors are nice, just not sharp where it needs to be.