Fighting Macaws

At the “Macaws Sinkhole” in Brazil’s Mato Grosso do Sul, this Red-and-Green Macaw was peacefully sitting on a branch when the Blue-and-Yellow Macaw came in and tried to push it off. The Red-and-Green fought back. It was a hard shot with all the branches but it went on long enough that I was able to get a couple of decent images. Here is one, Sony a9, Sony 100-400mm at 324mm, manual exposure f/7.1 at 1/2000th, ISO 3200.

What technical feedback would you like if any? I was surprised I did not have any appreciable grain in this image despite the high ISO. I did not use any noise reduction in processing.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great action and the positions of the two Macaws is great, Charles.

Charles, this exposure is tough and I think you have done a mighty job here. Yes, the beak of the red/green macaw is slightly hot, but I don’t see how you could do better. Great action here.

Nice action shot. Love the colors. Good detail.

Very nice action shot, Charles. The symmetrical poses of the two macaws and sharpness makes this image for me. I also like that I am able to see the eyes of both these birds. I am curious to know if this is a cropped image.

Hello, Charles. I do love the colours and the action in the image, making it a powerful shot. Only, minor nit, would be the ratio you choose, for some reason I guess either a 1:1 or 2:3 would work better for me personally. Other than that, a fine image ! Cheers, Hans

Great action, love their wings position and riot of color. Never seen such a colorful fight.
Cheers!