Blink of an Eye (Pucon, Chile)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took off most of my clothes and jumped into the river at the base of the waterfall with my Nikon Z6 safely enclosed in my Aquatech underwater housing to get this shot. It was a cool early summer day in Pucon, Chile. I was there for whitewater kayaking and we took an evening off to go walk around a local river park. The water color was delightful, as were the bubbles. I enjoyed trying to get images of the water doing interesting things, like it did here. I’m always looking for that one moment in time when water organizes itself into an intriguing shape.

Specific Feedback

Any suggestions on editing would be great!

Technical Details

Nikon Z6
1/320, f8, ISO 110
50mm, Nikkor Z f1.8 S
Aquatech Elite II with flat port

2 Likes

This is an intriguing shot with at least 4 different interesting planes (bokeh, underwater, water surface and BG). As for processing, I’m wondering if there is any way of sharpening the spiking water on the surface (in front of the waterfall). This would give the whole perhaps a stronger point of focus. It must have been difficult to catch all this, and the composition is excellent.

Ann, you’ve got quite a mix of “views” here. The “spike” in the surfacee splash is striking. (Yes getting it sharper would be nice, but that’s clearly asking a lot.) Views showing both above and below a water surface are aways interesting, but most of those are in calm water and require a wide to very wide angle lens due to the optical differences between air and water. Sounds and looks like quite a fun adventure.

Intriguing shape of water: You found what you were looking for and captured it very well.

1 Like

Interesting shot.

1 Like

This is a really interesting/fascinating image Ann. There is so much going on here. I’m really drawn by the bubbles and colors beneath the surface. Cool photo.

Thank you, Mike! I will give it a try to sharpen the water surface.

This is so eye-catching, Ann. I love the glistening out of focus droplets on the surface, and then for contrast we get to go under and see all those tiny bubbles in the green water. The wavy shape of the surface water is cool, with that little “water tower” poking up on the right. Beautiful image, and it sounds like it was a lovely experience!

Thanks for your reflections on this, Mark - I appreciate your comments!

Thank you, Mark - I appreciate your analysis of the image!