Blowing in the Wind # 2

Another image from The Tarn as I tried to embrace the wind rather than fight it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Just wondering if this works for anyone? Do you think the motion in the reeds is to blurred?

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 110 mm, f 18 @ 1.3 sec, ISO 100, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed, this one looks great to my eye. Very painterly, very impressionistic. I much prefer this one to #1. I like it a lot.

Lots to like here, Ed, and good choice of long exposure, really adds to the impressionistic feel. Would be interesting compare this to slightly shorter exposures as well. The fresh warm colors are wonderful.

Ed, I’m glad you embraced the motion! The result is wonderful! As Harley said it’s very impressionistic. Nothing to critique for me so I’m just going to enjoy it!

This is beautiful. I like the soft impressionistic feel of this.

I agree that this is a really nice use of motion blur. IMO the blur adds a lot to the shot! Very Nice!

Ed, I like both what the wind has done to the reeds, and what the long exposure has done to the water. The Tarn usually has some wind even under the best of conditions, but New England autumn this year had brutal wind conditions for most of the season. I think you at least salvaged something decent out of this morning.

Beautiful image, Ed. The blurring of the reeds is actually a plus here i think as it gives it a more impressionistic feeling. Unfortunately, the blurring of the lily pads doesn’t work quite as nicely as the reeds, but that’s certainly not a deal killer. The green and gold colors mesh so nicely. Did you double process this for different color temps (one for the water and one for the reeds) or is this as it actually was? Well done.

The contrast here is what really catches my, especially the saturated/unsaturated (yellow reflection/pale grasses) contrast that works so well. That type of contrast is hard to achieve, but you nailed it with this one. Lovely image!

Ed,

Good job just going with the flow and taking what nature was giving you. Very impressionistic for sure, especially the grasses. I’m torn as to whether I’d like to see more blur in the water - or have things sharper. Obviously with the wind, that was problematic.

The only suggestion I have is that to me, the yellow is a bit too saturated. But then again adds to the abstractness.

Lon