Bend with the wind

Bend in the wind
Waiting for the sun to shine
Give a little shadow

What technical feedback would you like if any?All feedback is more than welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?All feedback is more than welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Great sense of movement in this image.

I like the overall drama, but the color tint seems incongruous to me; it seems very greenish-yellow on my monitor.

I like the overall greenish caste to the image because it creates a mood. I don’t like the stripe along the bottom that the water/reeds make.

Ben, I agree with @John_Williams on the yellow/green color cast not being to my liking, it’s just a matter of personal taste. Perhaps you were going for a warm sepia-tone old time look here. I think that can work in some images, but my personal view is that it may not work as well when the image has a lot of whites like these clouds.

I also agree with @Igor_Doncov about the reeds at the bottom. I’ve heard critiques from other people about being careful with foreground objects like this near the bottom edge, to make sure they serve as framing elements rather than becoming barriers to entry that limit the viewers eye from entering the scene. Again, it’s subjective but these reeds somewhat impede my eye from cleaning entering the scene.

Ben, you’ve done well capturing the wind and the stormy sky with the tree and the foreground reeds. I like the mixed mood of stormy and pastoral. I too notice the green/yellow cast, but mostly I’m seeing the brightness of the background through the tree. That can be fixed by either dodging the tree or burning-in the background using the appropriate luminosity mask(s), assuming that you can create luminosity masks with your software.

Ben,
I am enjoying the power and drama with the cloud laden sky and how it contrasts with the peaceful farmland scene. I too notice the yellow/green cast to the image and I think I would try to correct that. Just a suggestion of course.

@Michael_Lowe, @John_Williams, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, @Mark_Seaver, @Ed_Lowe, First of all my great thank’s to you all, for your observations and remarks.

• About the greenish-yellow. I used the lights triple play in TK7, and there it was, the greenish-yellow.
    And I liked it !! @John_Williams, @Mark_Seaver, @Ed_Lowe.
    So the green became my intention. It creates for me that certain mood indeed, @Igor_Doncov.
  • About the reed.
    The reed, @Ed_McGuirk, Did serve as framing elements to me. I used them also because those reeds are everywhere along the ditches.They belong there.
    And @Michael_Lowe, To me they were also part of my story about “Bending in the wind” .
    @Mark_Seaver, I did darken some brightness in the background with TK7 luminosity mask. What yo see now are other white clouds, the lighter parts. I checked up on my raw version of the image.
    I have learned that there are rules but also very important, personal taste.

Thank you all so much !! Ben