Watching the Clouds Go By

This is a little peaceful scene I found at The Tarn in Acadia NP, ME. The image was captured in the fall; so this is not the usual colorful scene reflected in the water as the sun illuminates the flank of Dorr Mountain.

As always thanks for your comments or suggestions.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Just wondering if this works for anyone? Is the scene to static?

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D700, Nikon 80-200 @ 170 mm, f 14 @ 1/30 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is real nice, Ed. Graceful scene. No suggestions here.

For my taste, the reed reflections on the left side of the image reach two close to the frame edge. You were wondering if the image is too static, I actually feel that it could be more static. The small ripples near the middle top and lower right give a sense of place, scale and motion that I think take away from the voice of the more dominant elements in the photo of line and negative space.

A bit more negative space would have been nice but this is still a very nice image. There’s a lot of grace to those lines.

A lovely, peaceful scene. The slight movement of the water takes the scene from cold and harsh to a smaller and more inviting scale.

Thanks for your thoughts @Harley_Goldman, @James_Watts, @Igor_Doncov and @Matt_Gordon; always appreciated. Here is a repost with a little more canvas added at the bottom. The bit of added space does help the scene.

1 Like

I think the repost is a definite improvement, Ed. The original was a bit tight. IMO, this image is all about lines and negative space - since the color doesn’t add much, I would be inclined toward B&W.

I agree with Dave’s comments. It would be interesting to experiment with B&W, but I like this as it is. Nicely done, Ed.
-P

I also think the repost is an improvement and the ripples along the top are a nice addition to the scene. Nicely done.

Ed,

This is a beautifully seen and captured intimate nature portrait. the added canvas is well done as I would agree with the others about needing that space (alternatively, you could have cloned out a piece of the end of that reflection to accomplish the same thing. :slight_smile:

the only suggestion I have would be to increase the pop. Much of the cloud reflection is pretty much neutral gray and flat. Perhaps just a simple boost in contrast would make a difference. But for sure, you’ve got an image very worthy of pursuing small improvements.

Lon

Ed, the re-post looks pretty good to me, the added canvas is a nice improvement. My vote is to retain the ripples, IMO they add to the image rather than distract.