Blue Dasher and exuvia

I was intent on trying to get a focus stack without this guy twitching and didn’t even notice the exuvia until I saw it in the computer. They look like Damselflies. This perch was too far away for the best clarity but worth trying anyway. I had brought the big RRS tripod with the Gitzo fluid head this time for the extra whatever tiny bit more stability I could get.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000. f/14, 1/200 sec (thin ice), ISO 800. Focus stack of about 13, after deleting the ones before and after the critical focus points. Zerene stacker DMap. Into PS for denoise (Topaz) and retouching of some artefacts. Very busy BG blurred. Cropped to 43% of the original frame. Couldn’t get closer.

3 Likes

Wow, Diane, you got you monies worth on that shot. It is amazing sometimes when we bring a macro shot up on the big screen what we missed seeing in camera. I love the perch too, with the bow shape going across the image. I wish the bright spot in the BG wasn’t right behind the DF, but still an excellent shot in my opinion.

Nicely composed Diane and the nymph cases add a good bit of interest. The curved perch is nice. Nice job in blurring the background. The bright spots behind the dragonfly catch my eye but this is still a fine image.

oooh nice catch for sure! Sometimes I get surprised at the stuff I can’t see until I get it into Lightroom. Great job blurring the bg, too. It looks smooth and natural given the long lens you had. The colors in the eye are particularly nice - contrast so well with the different blue in the body. A beauty! You could crop in more if you wanted to, but it looks good like this, too.