Blue Dasher, head on

On a hot but cloudy day this Blue Dasher was highly cooperative, letting me get this head on view at about 1.5X life size (180 macro + 36mm extension tube). The extension tube produced noticeable vignetting that needed to be fixed in post processing. A 10 shot stack to get all of the face and eyes sharp.

Hello Mark, I like the expression and detail in the face along with the wing detail, the background is excellent. I have been trying for a head on shot of what I think is a blue dasher but I could only get a side view. The one I was photographing was not as cooperative as yours so I had to use a 70-300 zoom. Thank you for sharing.

Mark, what a fine look at this Blue Dasher. The eyes are really spectacular. It has been so breezy (which does help it not feel quite as hot) here that trying to photograph DF’s or anything tiny has been no point in trying. I do want to try out the focus stacking eventually.

Wonderful head on shot, Mark. Nice work too with the focus stacking. Sharpness in the eyes and face. Very cool.

Love the color and the great detail in the face. Good job on the stacking and nice it cooperated.

Hi Mark,

The stack worked very well and the DOF used looks pretty good. I like that the viewer can see the finer eye facets on the lower part of the eye. Well done…;Jim

Terrific head-on shot, Mark. Love all the great detail.

Wow! Great capture Mark. Love the details and colours in the eyes.