Blue Dasher male

For a couple of weeks, I’ve tried to sneak into a spot where I could get close to a Blue Dasher male perching on my pitcher plant, only to have it move to perches further away and not return. On Saturday, while it moved away when I crawled into position, it came back after 15-20 minutes. Since it’s looking at me rather than surveying the pond as it normally does, it clearly was aware but willing to tolerate my presence. (7D2, 180 mm macro, 1/250 s, f/9, iso 200, tripod) Because this male has it’s lower thorax completely covered with mites (not seen here), I’m pretty sure that I’ve been “chasing” it for a couple of weeks. The red behind is another pitcher plant stalk that it also likes to use as a perch.

Nice capture, Mark. I just got a few shots of a Blue Dasher yesterday but, thankfully, didn’t have to work as hard to get them! Then again, they’re not as good as this one! I particularly like the position of the wings in this shot.

Very nice, Mark. It was worth the effort to get this shot. Sometimes they settle down and don’t mind, and other times they do. Nice details where needed, and I too like how the wings are positioned. His perch has nice colors to compliment with the background and support the image. Love the leaf’s wavy edges. Great shot.

Wonderful photo Mark. Great detail and the colors couldn’t be better. He sort of looks like a helicopter hovering. . … . very small helicopter. Nicely done.

Amazing photo Mark. The sharp focus is amazing and I also enjoy the sharpness of the top of the wings fading back. the background came out nice. Thanks for the details of the photo, it is nice to add a little story to the scenery.

Awesome close-up Mark. I recently encountered a red, male Flame Skimmer, also very willing to sit still and let me be close to it.
Congrats on your perseverance. It paid off. You’ve really captured this one’s beauty!
Question: is it the sky reflecting as two white dots on its head?

Yes, Mark, those are either the sky or the sun. Since I remember the sun shining, they’re probably the sun.

Very cool image! I really like these head on DF pics and the red leaf perfectly offsets the green in the eyes.

Looks good Mark. It has been a while since I went after odonates with a 180mm. BG looks good and the head and forewings are nice and sharp. Blue dashes prefer to perch over water and are fairly skittish. You were sneaky enough to get this one photographed. Well done…Jim

Mark: Patience and persistence paid off for you along with subject knowledge to produce a superb image. Good effort, exceptional result. >=))>