Looking Fierce

This male Blue Dasher was clearly sensitive to my presence as he flew away while I approached and then later came back to a favorite perch, but landed facing me, rather than looking out over my pond. To me, he looks quite fierce in the head on shot as he sits on a pitcher plant. (7D2, 180mm macro, 1/125 s, f/7.1, iso 200, tripod)

1 Like

Mark, what a great face on shot of this little guy, The perch is really a nice addition, both with it’s colors and shape. The background is nice and smooth to help the subject and the perch stand out. On my screen, the eyes seem a bit too bright, and loosing some of it’s details. Might just be my computer. A fine image.

Mark: Great pose and it looks like he’s challenging you. I might like to see a little more of the pitcher plant and it does look like the focus on the eye is a smidgen off. Still a delightful shot and a good result.>=))>

@Bill_Fach and @Shirley_Freeman, the eye “problem” is an NPN display issue. On my monitor at 100%, I can count the eye facets… While I can’t count eye facets in the JPG for NPN, I can see lines in the eyes even inside the white areas. If you look carefully at the large version here, you can also see those lines.

Mark, to me it was the brightness that was causing me to not see all of the detail in the eyes. I can see some detail (lines) in the eyes, but I think the brightness is keeping me from seeing all of the detail that you captured. I am sorry that I wasn’t clear in what I meant. It could be my monitor as well. Each are different. It is a great face on shot, for sure.

Dragonflies are such amazing creatures, and you have certainly caught the fierceness of this one! Nice capture, Mark.

Best,
Terry

Great capture Mark. I really like the green background color against the red leaf/flower. Love the stance/position of the dragonfly. He does appear to be making some sort of statement. Nicely done.

Hi Mark,

Wonderful dragonfly perched on a pitcher plant. The DOF is plenty for this type of photo. Maybe next time go for the wings as well. I think that this will make a fantastic big print as presented. Awesome comp…Jim

Great head-on view! I think it is the brightness that could be the cause of confusion regarding details, but larger view shows details. Love the colors and the undulating perch. I would have liked to see a little more of the flower, but the image is great as is.