Blue Dasher

Image:

Description:

With dragonflies, the techniques used for bird photography come in quite handy. Long lenses coupled with a teleconverter keep the photographer out of the dragonfly’s circle of fear.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850 200-400mm f4 + 2.0 teleconverter + fill flash set at 1/16th power (1/50 sec at f22 ISO 640, 800mm) Topaz DeNoise, slight crop for comp, levels, Dehaze.

2 Likes

Beautiful capture, Jim! Love the nice details in the dragonfly and it’s such a perfect background!

1 Like

Jim, I also love the way the BG just makes the DF stand out so nicely. Long lenses are a nice option for some of these dragonflies as they just don’t want us but so close to them. It also helps get the kind of nice smooth background as you obtained here. Well done.

1 Like

Hi Jim, nice profile view of this blue dasher. Details are very nice and I like seeing the head, thorax, and abdomen so well. Pleasing background. Nits to me are possibly darkening highlights some to reduce brightness of the perch and top of the abdomen. A boost of saturation may be something to try too.
Well done image!

1 Like