Blue Jay at -1 degree F.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I wake up this morning to some filtered sunlight coming through the windows. I check the temperature which was at -1 degrees and was significantly warmer than the -9 at 4:30am. I lugged the camera and 600mm out near the feeder and positioned the rig to avoid the snow covered branches in my previous series. A lone blue jay showed up to check out the feeder and the puffed out feathers covering the tarsi and toes reveals how the jay is adjusting to the bitter cold. Blue jays are my favorite while visiting feeders. Aggressive and smart, they can exploit any situation in order to survive.

Specific Feedback

I went for detail and color and did I achieve my goal?

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 (1/500 sec at f8.0, ISO 2000= fill flash at -2.0ev) Levels, DeNoise, and sharpen in Lightroom, slight crop for comp…Jim

Jim, this is really nice. Good details, and nice colors. The overall color scheme really speaks to the cold weather. I love the fluffed feathers.

1 Like

Nice winter pose and fluffed feathers, Jim. I like the perch and the snow background works well. The colors look great.

1 Like

Perfect background for this scene. Well done, sir.

1 Like

Nice catch Jim. I like the pose with the fluffy feathers and the bird pressed down on the feet. Good colors and exposure. Well done.

1 Like

Mission accomplished: good color and detail with a nice pose and perch.

1 Like

Nice use of fill flash here! I like the pose, good head turn and placement in the frame. nice work!

1 Like

Lovely!! Wonderful lighting and detail – all said above!

1 Like

This image just makes me cold sitting here looking at it. Wonderful pose all tucked in trying to stay warm and a terrific head turn along with white feather detail.

1 Like

Thank you @Ed_Williams , @Dennis_Plank , @David_Bostock , @Allen_Sparks , @Allen_Brooks , @Kurt_Bowman , @Diane_Miller , and @David_Haynes for your comments and critiques. I printed one from the series with a little more head turn and the print looks awesome. I will be moving my backyard feeder operation due to several of our dogs feeding extensively on fallen seeds. Unlike birds, dogs have trouble digesting seeds and bad things do happen :dog:.